The Tiny Cooper Award for Best Supporting Character (TCABSC, pronounced Tuh-Cab-Skuh) was created to honor those special guys and gals who, while not the main focus of the book, are still extraordinary. The Tiny Coopers (Will Grayson, Will Grayson), Anitas (West Side Story), and Robins (Batman) of the fictional world may not always get the girl (or guy), but sometimes they fulfill their role of supporting or obstructing the lead character in such a phenomenal way that it deserves special notice. This attention now comes in the form of an imaginary award made up by me. Hey, they’re not the main characters, so they have to take what they can get.
In lieu of five other nominees, here are five reasons why Cybil is awesome:
1) She shaves her head because she wanted to move past the limits of her suburban existence.
2) The band she starts becomes one of the best in
Portland, and they land a record deal in . Seattle
3) When her best friend Andrea needs help with her fashion column for the school newspaper, Cybil helps her think of good ideas for pieces, even though she couldn’t care less about a lame high school activity.
4) The book version of her is so cool she made me completely forget (until just now when I googled it) that the horrendous movie version of her is played by Tara Reid (doing her best Rayanne Graff impersonation).
5) She is the Rebel Girl best friend you always dreamed of!