Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Library Queue: Back in Action

My library queue has been a little wonky lately. A few books I put on hold have lots of people ahead of me with holds of their own. And some (I’m looking at you, Left Hand of Darkness!!!) have not progressed at all in their long journey to my hands (when the hold list says 3 of 3 holds for four straight months, it’s time to give up and admit that the book is lost). What I just said may be gibberish to non-library users, but that’s because you need to start using the library. (Seriously, it is awesome. Free books! They deliver them to you!) Let me sum it up by saying that I had a few books clogging up my holds list and, as a result, was not getting as many books as I need. But now I have a healthy pile waiting for me again, and I can’t wait to dig in!


Sometimes when I tell people I haven’t read this book they say “YOU haven’t read THIS?” So I have decided it is time, if only to avoid that reaction. It’s a classic New York book, so even if I don’t love the story the New York history will definitely be interesting.

From Emilie Coulter’s Amazon review:
Francie Nolan, avid reader, penny-candy connoisseur, and adroit observer of human nature, has much to ponder in colorful, turn-of-the-century Brooklyn. She grows up with a sweet, tragic father, a severely realistic mother, and an aunt who gives her love too freely--to men, and to a brother who will always be the favored child. Francie learns early the meaning of hunger and the value of a penny. She is her father's child--romantic and hungry for beauty. But she is her mother's child, too--deeply practical and in constant need of truth. Like the Tree of Heaven that grows out of cement or through cellar gratings, resourceful Francie struggles against all odds to survive and thrive.


I have heard nothing but raves about this book, both from real people and from the internet. And after Will Grayson, Will Grayson, I will read everything that John Green writes.

From Amazon:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.


Hmmmm. This is weird. I put this book on my library queue so long ago that I have no memory of why. Was it a blog review? A recommendation from Word bookstore? I have no idea. But hey, judging by the cover, prep school!

From Goodreads:
Set against the backdrop of the 1987 stock market collapse, The Starboard Sea is an examination of the abuses of class privilege, the mutability of sexual desire, the thrill and risk of competitive sailing and the adult cost of teenage recklessness. It is a powerful and compelling novel about a young man navigating the depths of his emotional life, finding his moral center, trying to forgive himself, and accepting the gift of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment