Monday, October 21, 2013

Not Your Typical Mean Girl: Top Five Lydia Quotations from Teen Wolf

I know I’m late to the Teen Wolf party, but I am making up for my tardiness with my enthusiasm! The show is fun, soapy, and at times so over the top it feels like a fever dream. But, most importantly, Teen Wolf has brought Lydia Martin into my life, and for that I will be forever grateful. On first glance, Lydia comes off as a standard pretty, popular girl character: perfect hair and make-up, dating a star athlete, and a little bit mean. But the show gives you little glimpses behind that façade, like when Lydia somehow figures out that it is Allison’s birthday and breaks into her locker to decorate, or when she has perfect bowling form, or when she knows how to construct a Molotov cocktail using materials found in a high school chemistry lab. By the end of the first season, it is clear: Lydia Martin is a secret genius. Here are five of my favorite Lydia quotations.


1) Allison: “Do you think I made the wrong decision?”
Lydia: “About that jacket with that dress? Absolutely.”

Lydia tells it like it is. She has a keen fashion sense, and is too good a friend to let you wear something that doesn’t look amazing on you.


2) Lydia: “Never frown, because someone could be falling in love with your smile.”

Lydia will not let herself be less than her best. Sometimes that means sounding like a batty Emily Post obsessive. But if it means getting your friend to smile because you’re buying her a new dress to apologize for making out with her boyfriend in a hormone- and werewolf pheromone–fueled moment of madness, then so be it.


3) Stiles: “…And I'm also pretty sure I'm the only one who knows just how smart you really are, uh-huh, and that once you're done pretending to be a nitwit, you'll eventually go off and write some insane mathematical theorem that wins you the Nobel Prize.”
Lydia: “Field’s Medal.”
Stiles: “What?”
Lydia: “Nobel doesn’t have a prize for mathematics. The Field’s Medal is the one I’ll be winning.”

Lydia is a genius.


4) Lydia: “I know archaic Latin.”
Allison: “You know archaic Latin?”
Lydia: “I got bored with classical Latin.”
Allison: “Just how smart are you?”

Did I mention that Lydia is a genius?


5) Lydia: “I will not fall prey to society’s desire to turn girls into emotional, insecure neurotics who pull up their dresses at the first flattering remark.”

A genius feminist.


Love her!

No comments:

Post a Comment