Friday, October 7, 2011

Opening Lines: Laini Taylor

I just purchased Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and I am now convinced that Laini Taylor is a champion of opening lines.

The opening lines of DOSAB (in italics, just before the first chapter): Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.  It did not end well.

Shivers!  Chills!



Add to this the amazing opening lines of Lips Touch, Three Times:

There is a certain kind of girl the goblins crave. You could walk across a high school campus and point them out: not her, not her, her. The pert, lovely ones with butterfly tattoos in secret places, sitting on their boyfriends' laps? No, not them. The girls watching the lovely ones sitting on their boyfriends' laps? Yes. Them.


Wow.  If I read something like that, I am in.  I am committed to the book, no matter what.  But, judging by Lips Touch, Three Times, Laini Taylor's books live up to their marvelous opening lines.  Day, end!  Clock, hit five pm, that I might ride the train home and lose myself in this wonderful book!

No comments:

Post a Comment