Thursday, September 22, 2011

Classic Covers

This is it, the edition of Island of The Blue Dolphins that kept me reading obsessively for an entire day.  I had to read the book for school, and I had put it off until the last minute.  So there I was, Sunday morning, my grandparents were in town and all I wanted to do was hang out with them, but I had to read an entire book before Monday.


I had never read an entire book in one day before, and I wasn't sure if I could do it.  But I also had never shirked my homework before, so not doing it was out of the question.



My grandmother very kindly offered to sit with me as I read, and I was off.  Very early on, I lost track of time.  All I knew was that I was at my desk, reading an amazing book as the soft strains of The Beatles' Rubber Soul played in the background.  The only time I surfaced was to flip the tape over (yes, it was a cassette tape in a boom box) and to close the book and stare at the cover.  Because the cover of this book was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.  A girl, standing on a cliff, holding a spear because she's tough and she has to hunt for herself if she wants to survive.  And the capper: dolphins.  Beautiful silver dolphins arcing out of the water.

My grandmother fell asleep, but I kept reading until I finished the book.  And that was how I learned that just sitting and reading a book is an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday.  As long as it's a truly wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment